Thursday 12 June 2014

Silva League

From the 23-25 May was the Silva League final in LuleƄ. It was 3 races: a sprint, a middle and a long (the long included a chasing start for the elite grades). The sprint took place on Friday afternoon. As I hadn't been running due to shin pain, I went out with the plan of walking the course, but that kind of failed... I found the course a nice difficulty - easy but not too easy. I didn't make any mistakes but took some longer route choices that might have lost a little bit of time. Overall I placed 52 out of 60 which I was happy with considering I was jogging the course and most people were running as fast as they can!
From control 8 - 9 was a good route choice - left, right, or kind of through the middle. I think going to the left was fasted, but as shown, I went to the right. 

On Saturday was the middle distance. I went out with the knowledge that the map was very detailed, but I think I kind of just brushed that aside saying 'Oh I'll be going slowly, taking time to read the map...' I was the last starter in D16. My first few controls were great, by the second control I had caught up two of the girls who had started before me and so naturally it went to my head and I thought 'Sweet, this is easy'. I think that was when I made my first mistake. I took a terrible bearing from number four, planning to run through the open forest (white), but failing at doing so.

 After that control I slowed down slightly (mainly due to the fact I managed to stab myself on a tree branch, ending up with a decent cut on my knee...), and didn't make too bad mistakes, until number 10. I have no idea how I went so badly wrong. I passed some green forest (harder to run through) and thought I was next to the distinct boundary just above where I ran... Then I was lost. Very lost! 

Sundays race was much better. I don't think I made any mistakes, but ended up 10 minutes behind the winner (because she was soo much faster than I am!), and placed third in D16, so I was very happy!
\


No comments:

Post a Comment